Sunday, September 30, 2012


I know I said that I would write and blog, letters etc every week. And I’m so sorry that I haven’t exactly kept that promise. You see, I have had a really hard time figuring out how to connect my two worlds. How do I explain to the people back home the feelings I’m feeling, the experiences, the people...sure I can try and explain some sights, sounds and smells that are relatable to you. But the atmosphere and character of this world I’m living in..How do I explain that? I could write you a list of all the differences I see. How the roads are more curvy than America, how the people use monotones to give you a yes or no response- though the same tone means two different things, how every mother here yells to discipline- but it’s completely normal and no one has a problem with it even though I was so nervous when I first saw it. How the possums here are adorable, little lemur looking things and it’s Koala awareness month. Sure...I could give you that list. But oh, to share with you the atmosphere and warm hospitable heart of Australia! Simple things are so exciting here. They show TV commercials that we had years ago and they think it’s so cool. The boys are so inquisitive about America and they know more history about it than I do! I’m always astounded at the riches of my country when I compare it to theirs. We were founded on Christian principles and the kids asked me why they think our country is the leading country of the world (Obama is actually some type of politically leader of Australia- I had no idea!) and I was able to share with them that our country was founded on God and He has blessed it and the differences between the people who founded the countries. I’m learning my roles and place here in this home, and even though it isn’t my family’s home, it’s my home for now. The sounds are different, more tropical. Kookaburras are not cool. They make the loudest, most obnoxious noise way too early in the morning. But the Lorikeets are wonderful and I saw a Galla and a long-billed Corella! The Magpies here are Devil birds. They swoop you and are really strong. There is a certain place on our street that we don’t go because we know there’s a magpie there!

I miss my friends...way more than I would like. It’s hard to experience a ton of new things and know that the people you have history, inside jokes, chemistry, and depth with are all on another continent. They aren’t able to experience this huge part of my life with me. And the friends that I thought would keep up with me haven’t...but the few people who have, are friends that have really surprised me. But it’s a true test of friendship. It’ll be interesting to see how many friends I will actually have upon my return. But I know that it’s good that I have no one to fall back on but God. I’m growing in myself instead of growing myself to fit others’ molds. I’m free to love what I love without feeling the need for approval. Mostly knowing that no one is there to approve or disapprove.


Now, everyone keeps asking if there’s any guys in the picture yet- I can confidently say no! I really doubt that there will be (Though it would be fine with me ;P), but I thought I’d answer that in bulk so I don’t have to repeat myself a bunch :p  

Right now, I am just trying to open myself up and learn to be vulnerable. Learn to take chances and try new things- which I’ve never been good at. I’m learning where every little weak spot is. And how many there are. I’m learning how much I depend on others when I should be depending on God. But I’m also learning that God created companionship and other people because we NEED them. We cannot function without community. We were creating as social beings, in need of friendship and camaraderie. God created us to be friends! He said it was not good for man to be alone. Plain and simple. So being alone has stirred up a passion for friendship that I took advantage of before. Not that I didn’t appreciate my friends, but I’ve learned how to properly pursue. Alyssa always used to be the persuare. She would create the friendships, and I would step in and feed them. But now we each have to learn both roles.

I am now involved in a church and already fallen in love with the people there. The senior Pastor and his wife really co-lead and they are both wonderful! I have also met the childrens pastor and nursery director and both are so kind and friendly. I’m hoping to go to a college/20 something’s group once a fortnight but have to work around my work schedule, so it may not be possible. And Reegan wants me to take her to youth group on Friday nights! Pray pray pray! God is penetrating her heart and she is vulnerable. I am praying for a complete attitude change, so much so that her parents won’t be able to ignore the impact God is having on her.




A nanny's job- Sit in car, wait for child whilst drinking juice. 

At the carnival of flowers. Reegan becoming one with the statue.

Waiting for our open-air movie to start. Tonight- Hugo!

A float from the parade at the Carnival


Sushi! Made them myself :)
How are we still single? Milenka and I at the carnival of flowers, watching the fireworks!

The boys thought it would be cool to organize and clean their room for me without me asking! SO sweet! And this was after them sitting in their room for an hour quietly drawing..without me asking. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment