Thursday, February 7, 2013

I'm Thankful. It's my birthday :)

Today's my birthday. Naturally on my birthday it causes me to look back and reminisce about the past year, major events, sad moments, moments of gratitude  happiness....My 18th year has been filled with those. More than any other year I would say. I've never had so many exciting, life-filled moments. I've also never shed so many tears. I left the country for the first time this year, lived without my family, made new friends, changed my lifestyle several times....tasted my first oyster...I still can't decide if it was good or bad. I also got into a car accident, was confronted with severe panic attacks, anxiety and fear. Was ripped from my comfort zone and thrown to the fire....I was also rescued from the fire. Motivated into action by the fear. Forced to address lies I had been believing.

So much! I feel that I've lived a whole life in this one year. I am thankful and a little bit apprehensive of what this next year will hold. But for right now, I'm abiding in the promise that God has my life in His hands. I am not to worry about tomorrow. I am to enjoy this day. This celebration of life. I've never held my birthday in such honor until this year. Life. I could have been steps away from death. God gave me life. He chooses every day to protect and breath life. Every single day. Every moment. I am so grateful and in complete awe of God's desire to give us life.



I'm also so thankful for my sister. I am one of the few people who is blessed with a twin. A person who will understand you better than anyone. Granted, sometimes too well. And sometimes not as much as we'd like. But ultimately, your best friend, sister, comrade, amigo. I used to spite being a twin. I really don't know why...maybe simply because I didn't understand the blessing. But I do know that now, I am so thankful. And again, am in awe of God and His constant blessing. Alyssa and I have fought battles, sometimes with each other but always for each other. She is my best friend. Always will be! And I dare anybody to come between us. 'Aint gonna happen bro. I love her.

"My sister and I, you will recollect, were twins, and you know how subtle are the links which bind two souls which are so closely allied."  ~Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Speckled Band

And I owe a great amount to my parents. I think birthdays should celebrate mothers just as much as the kid. After all, she did all the work. But aside from that, my mom and dad have been exceptional parents. So loving and hard working. My dad works his rear end off to make sure we have everything we need, and my mom gives up her well-being for us. Among other things. It doesn't go unnoticed. And I'd just like to put it out there publicly.


And my wonderful brothers. Christopher, I didn't know well for a while. But I am starting to get to know him and am so ridiculously proud of him. God has a special blessing on him. Watch out world.
And little Matthew...not so little anymore! What a little man! He is a mirror of God's unconditional love for us. I am so beyond thankful for who he is. 


I am blessed. I will not forget. I will not let it go unnoticed. God is my portion and I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment